4.09.2007

way to go, paula!

You know that great scene at the end of An Officer and a Gentleman where Richard Gere comes to the factory in his dress whites and scoops up Debra Winger in her arms to carry her to her new destiny as an aviator wife? And all the other factory girls are all clapping and cheering for her, "Way to go, Paula! Way to go!" because she is escaping her job.

A former Naval officer is standing outside my office in his khakis clapping and saying those words. He does not come and scoop me into his arms and carry me out, which is good, because that sounds like a great way to get fired. He has to explain all about the movie to me, because I've never seen it, and I've no idea why in the world he's clapping and calling me Paula.

In other words, I quit my job.

Officially, I resigned my position to pursue other career interests. My other career interests include a different software job in another city, coincidentally the one where my boyfriend lives. However, in great news, I'm really excited about my new job, which sounds dorky and challenging. Also, I can wear sandals and jeans every single day, and there are free sodas in the breakroom. These are the things that make me happy.

I've never quit a job before, at least not a real one. I quit being a cashier at Winn-Dixie, which consisted of me handing in my teal shirt and nametag. I quit being a hotel housekeeper, but I had to be told by the boss that I was quitting. I quit being a waitress, but mostly because the restaurant was closed, and I was having a hard time getting any tables.

I'm just glad I can be done with the secrets. For three months I've been furtively searching the want ads, avoiding telling anyone at work about what I really did in the evenings. For a while I didn't tell my mother, because doing so would give her reason to ask about it every week, and if things were not going well, I'd have to tell her that. I don't like admitting that I'm trying something unless I'm assured of success. I don't mind being a failure, but I prefer to be a secret one.

But now I can tell everyone, and no one is much surprised. I heard tell that my boss, upon hearing the news, said, "We expected that, right?" Everyone knew about my weekend pilgrimages, and so everyone easily came to the conclusion (as I had) that a move to Raleigh was the next step. I am taking that step now, subdivided as it is into little steps. Find new job, check. Quit old job, check. Find new place to live...I'm tired already.

At least I can whine about it here now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!
Change is a good thing!!

What will you be programming now?

-Tomatoe