4.11.2008

show-stopper.

I go to every show of my boyfriend's band. I'm not one of those hugely enthusiastic girlfriends, but more of the quiet and supportive type. I sort of remind myself of my mother at my high school basketball games, not wearing school colors and not screaming out at every play, but there nonetheless and clapping the few times that my team did something good.

Going to every show means seeing the same band play at least once a week, sometimes more. And I like the band, really I do, because I'm not the kind of person that can fake enthusiasm very well. But I do spend a fair amount of time at shows just people-watching. Sometimes the people being watched are in the band, particularly the bassist, and sometimes they are the various other concert-goers.

I know a lot of the concert-goers usually, because they are regulars like me. The band has a local following, and I can recognize most of their faces even if I don't know their names.

But I know Brad, and I was watching him. There was nothing particularly interesting about him, really, it was the girl he was with. Actually, it was her existence at all that was the most interesting. I'd never seen Brad with a girl. I'd seen him get shot down a few times after asking one to dance, but this one appeared to have responded to his advances much more positively. Who was she? Where did she come from? Would she stick around?

I like Brad, and so I was happy for him. I'd assumed that his girllessness was something he had wanted to change, but I always assume that. Everyone always seems to be looking for someone. I'm willing to hear other viewpoints on this, though, since I haven't spent much alone-time.

Having analyzed the situation as much as possible as I can from twenty feet away, I scan the crowd for other interesting people. I check out the bassist, frown on the underage girls in tight pants, admire another girl's jacket, check out the bassist, see if any of the other girls are checking out the bassist. I frequently check back on Brad's situation, noting how close the girl is standing, if they look happy, whether she is prettier than he is handsome.

The music is interrupted mid-song. Another regular, Big Mike, has come up to the stage and is trying to get the Trevor's, the guitarist, attention. Trevor stops playing his guitar momentarily to see what the trouble is. I start going through the possibilities. Big Mike would know better than to interrupt a song for something trivial. Had someone's car been stolen? Was someone messing with the equipment? After a few seconds, Trevor gives Big Mike a disapproving look and goes back to his song. Assuming the situation is under control, I turn my attention to an older man sitting by himself and start imagining his life story.

After the show, we're breaking down the equipment and talking about the hot news item: Brad's new girl. Neither of them are to be seen, so I assume they've gone off to be alone (together). I question Josh for more information.

"Did you see her?"

"Nah, I couldn't from the stage."

"Oh. Do you know who she is?"

"No."

Like many girls, I find my boyfriend to be a crappy gossiper.

"Oh. Oh, hey, what did Big Mike want? Why did he stop the show?"

"To tell Trevor that Brad had a girlfriend."

I giggle. Maybe I should start gossiping with Big Mike.

No comments: