8.27.2008

quick cooked in dragon fire.

We're still doing Henson videos here today, and next are the commercials. Note that The Ladybug Picnic does not endorse any of the products shown below. Except that I do have some La Choy soy sauce in my fridge.

While funny commercials are pretty standard now, apparently back in the 1960s, it was quite a new idea. Henson came up with a series of nearly two hundred 8-second ads for Wilkins coffee. They remind me of the Geico commercials because of their breviy. These are a little violent, so much so that it's almost shocking that they were on TV. It's a little like watching Tom and Jerry now, wondering why you never had a problem with a cat being cut precisely in half when you were a kid.



I think my favorite is when the Washington Monument falls down on the guy because he does not drink Wilkins coffee.

There were also some commercials for Pak-Nit.



I love when the announcer reads the sign, even down to the "close parenthesis." I guess I'm just not used to these types of commercials, where there are characters and a story line disguising the advertising. I feel like I've seen stuff like this in modern commercials, but it came off being cheesy. Maybe things from the 1960s are just allowed to be cheesy.

And here's one for Wilson's Meat.



Of course, it doesn't make me want to eat Wilson's Meat at all, because it apparently gives you astronomical gas.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that Cookie Monster originated as an ad gimmick.



He must have turned to cookies when it became hard to find Munchos. Apparently, you can find them in the Midwest.

And here's Nutty Bird, who should also look familiar to anyone who has ever seen any episode of Sesame Street ever. His friend is named Sour Bird.



What's most interesting to me is that they're pushing RC Cola as an energy drink. Now, of course, sodas are just soda, and energy drinks are something else entirely.

You can find lots more commercials on YouTube just by clicking around the related videos to the ones I've shown here. But let's get to my favorite. It's the La Choy Dragon!



Anything that says "Quick-cooked in dragon fire" in such a deadpan voice is a winner.

No comments: