5.24.2004

disclaimer.

This is my disclaimer. I am afflicted with a terrible condition, commonly known as a poor memory. It's a very specialized condition, and only affects the portion of my brain that remembers the stories I've told, more specifically the people I've told them to. As a consequence of this, I often tell the same story to the same person multiple times.

I see it as a device of balance, that God gave it to me to keep me back a little bit after giving me so many other great gifts, such as stunning beauty, amazing intellect, and incredible modesty. God did this to me for the rest of you, like that old Vonnegut story, "Harrison Bergeron" (If you've not read it, perhaps you should. Not because you won't be able to keep up otherwise, but just because it's good). However, He also did it to the rest of you, because you're the ones who have to hear the same stories over and over, while I sit by and think that I am terribly clever.

God did it to me via my mother. I think perhaps the gene is somehow connected to the large thighs God also burdened the women of my family with. My mother has the condition, and I gotta tell you, it appears to only get worse with age. I will tell a repeated story to someone within a few weeks or months of the first telling. Mama tells it the second time within ten or fifteen minutes of the first. She does look awfully cute when she does it.

But this entry was not written for the purpose of telling how cute my mother is. It was written to warn you and apologize ahead of time if I sometimes post the same entry twice. Not that I go back in my archives and copy and paste the same entry, but that I write about the same incident or topic. The second telling may be somewhat different, but not much, because the writer is the same.

Anyway, that's your warning. It's no longer my fault if problems arise due to repeated readings of the same story, even if in different words. Blame it on my mother, or if you're really brave, God. But I wouldn't recommend that.

No comments: