3.15.2006

puberty of a cold.

I'm in the voice alteration stage of a sinus infection. I've had enough of these things to know how they affect my body. The first day, I have a sore throat, as well as a lingering feeling of needing to hock something out of my throat without being able to. This stage is followed by a couple of days of steady coughing, sneezing, and overwhelming snot production. Then comes the voice change, which is accompanied by a decrease in the snot production, and finally, recovery.

The trouble with my current stage is that it's so much more noticeable than the others. I've been blowing my nose to the point of rawness for two days now, but when my "Good Morning" sounds like something you'd hear from a veteran smoker, people stare and ask, "Holy crap, what's wrong with you?" This question never fails to irritate me, because it's the same thing that's been wrong with me for about days now, thanks for noticing. People avoid me or start giving me suggestions for cures when I'm already on the brink of recovery. In fact, the voice change usually comes at the same time as a remarkable improvement in my well-being, so I'm actually feeling a heck of a lot better, I just sound worse. By now, it's too late for sympathy.

People at work, in their misguided efforts to make me feel better, tell me that I should go home, I'm sick! I repeatedly tell them, "I feel better than I sound." Most likely, the day when a day of rest would have benefitted me most had already passed. They urge me to go home, so much that I begin to suspect them of trying to get rid of me so that they won't catch whatever it is that is making me sound so awful. And I just think, Ha ha! You suckers, you've already caught it.

That makes me feel a little better.

No comments: