11.02.2006

a tall drink of water.

Another Washington picture tonight, just because I have a slew of them.

I discovered that I like monuments. They're like the epitome of a grand gesture. Rather than buy your wife a dozen roses to show that you love her, why not erect a fifty foot high structure? I understand that they are basically meant to be impressive, and in me, they've reached their goal. Look at me, I'm impressed. It's kind of art for art's sake, or for history's sake or for remembrance's sake, because really, monuments serve no other purpose. You might could argue that they bring in tourist dollars (and I bet that they do), but really, they're pointless.

I seem to like the Washington Monument, because I sure do have a lot of pictures of it. Granted, that may be because it seems to be in the background of a lot of shots of other things. But it's so tall and stately and simple and utterly pointless. The Vietnam Memorial has all these names that bear down on you with all the deaths they represent and Lincoln is all noble and stately with his ideals engraved around him, but the Washington Monument is just kinda there, saying, "Look how TALL I am!" Maybe I can relate to it. I'm not particularly deep or noble, but I got some height going on. That counts for something, right?

No comments: