2.25.2009

not the biggest dork.

We were having a brief development meeting, discussing the status of our latest candidate for release. We had apparently covered all the important stuff, and the meeting was starting to dissolve into a sort of group chit chat. Someone asked what the device was sticking out of the socket in the wall; it was a battery charger. However, it was a space age looking battery charger. If I ever decide to make a crappy sci-fi movie, I would want to borrow it for use as a model for a space ship.

"You can tell it's futuristic, because it's asymmetric. In the future, people will hate symmetry," someone quips.

"Yeah, it's like the Millennium Falcon. You've got this great design, but let's put the cockpit over here to the extreme right," jokes another guy.

I know what the Millennium Falcon is. I know what it looks like and I could probably recognize it if I saw it out of context. But I haven't got the foggiest idea where the cockpit of it is. It's amazing how being a software engineer can make you feel less dorky, even almost cool by comparison. Because, yes, I make math jokes and I know a lot of trivia about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but at least I haven't memorized the blueprints of the Millennium Falcon.

No comments: