5.12.2009

the mets and chocolate.

I knew Josh for several years before we started dating. Once we did take that step further, I started learning a lot of surprising things about him. There was nothing inherently surprising about what I learned; the suprise was that I didn't know them before. How could I have gone five years without knowing he liked baseball? Baseball? Really? The Mets? But...baseball is boring. Huh.

The biggest surprise was that he loved chocolate. Everyone likes chocolate. My mother used to tell me that love was when you liked someone so much you had to call it something else. Josh is testing the bounds of the word "love" with his relationship with chocolate. I have never met anyone which such an affinity for chocolate, male or female. When I thought of someone who had a chocolate obsession, I thought of someone who looks like Cathy and has a coffee mug that say "Give me the chocolate and no one gets hurt." I did not picture this man.

I certainly don't mind his feelings for the sweet, and as long as he never has to choose between us, I think we'll be alright. Besides, it makes my life a little bit easier. All I have to do is make him something chocolatey, and he's happier than a pig in some other kind of dark brown stuff. A couple of weeks ago, I got it into my head to make a chocolate pie, and the result was so delicious he ate a full quarter of a pie in one evening. Now, I only like chocolate the regular amount, but holy crap, this is a good pie.

French Silk Chocolate Pie
Adapted from Allrecipes
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature

  • 1 1/2 cup white sugar

  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder

  • 2 t vanilla extract

  • 4 eggs

  • 1 prepared 8 inch pastry shell, baked and cooled


  1. Cream butter in a mixing bowl. Gradually beat in the sugar with an electric mixer until light colored and well blended. Stir in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for a full five minutes on medium to high speed using a whisk attachment after each egg. Spoon the chocolate filling into a cooled, baked pie shell.


  2. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.


Do note that this recipe contains raw eggs. Some people won't want to eat your pie because of that. Feel free to laugh at them and help yourself to their slice. Or give the extra slice to Josh.

1 comment:

Carla said...

Mmmmmm, raw eggs.