12.14.2003

plu 4080 peru.

I'm trying to focus on the fact that after Tuesday, I can sleep til noon and then lie around in my pajamas and eat ice cream all day long if I so desire. I'm taking a break from the pathetic attempt at studying Calculus that I made earlier to write a little something before I make yet another pathetic attempt to study Calculus. I'm going to throw up some little tidbits tonight, not anything of real value or even things that go together.

I've been collecting asparagus bands. Asparagus comes in bunches when you buy it at the store, and the stalks are held together by these colored rubber bands that say the produce number, hence how I know the bands are from asparagus (It's 4080, for all you produce trivia buffs out there). Every weekend, usually on Sundays when the produce truck comes, I find these bands lying around the restaurant. The first time I wore one on my wrist and gave the others I found to other servers, since they are the exact perfect size to stay put on my wrist without cutting off any circulation. We made an asparagus club. I also made some remark about how they look like the rubber bands they use to castrate goats and was rewarded with looks of absolute horror from the guys. Now I just pick them up and put them on out of habit. And now that it's officially a collection, I'm stuck with them. And really, what do you do with purple rubber bands that say "PLU 4080 PERU" on them? I myself put them in a jar on my desk.

I have bought exactly one Christmas present, a hideously tacky belt buckle for Nick which he will love and Ashley will hate. I know what two more presents are going to be, but I'm at a loss for the rest of them. Casey in particular is always difficult to buy for, not because he doesn't have any interests, but that they seem to be of an expensive nature. I told him I was going to get him a fiancee for Christmas, and then he asked me if she was going to be hot. Such a funny boy. Anyway, I'm planning on wandering around some stores later this week in hopes of stumbling onto something appropriate for anyone on my list, otherwise everyone is getting a pretty wine bottle. An empty one.

The slow business is starting to weed out the servers at work. A few people have already quit, and several more are talking about doing it after New Year's once the holiday rush is over. I've resigned myself to working there til I graduate, but it's sad to see all these people go. I can understand it, though. Today, four servers sat on the steps down to the sunroom for about two hours and whined, until Josh got the idea to walk down the street and buy us all fudge. Joe and Lynn didn't even realize he had been gone until he came back laden with fudge. The day wasn't a total waste, as I did get to go home early after making my $14.

I didn't send out Christmas cards this year, which is very sad. There really just wasn't time. I write a personal message on all of them, and sometimes it takes a minute or two to be witty, even for me. Plus, I write a holiday message to the postal workers on the envelopes. I blame this habit on my mother for two reasons: 1.) She is a postal worker, and 2.) she is part of the reason I'm goofy like that. But anyway, all that takes time, and I was too busy with silly things like class projects and papers. I feel vaguely guilty about it, but they never send cards back anyway, the jerks. I'll make it up next year by sending everyone an asparagus band.

That's it for tonight, folks. Hope you learned something.

No comments: