1.15.2005

the only fashionable computer scientist.

Tuesday, I start my life as a working woman. So by Tuesday, I need to come up with some working woman wear. Just what does a computer scientist wear once she's exhausted her supply of Linux t-shirts?

The majority of my clothing would not constitute as business casual. Until now, I've had very few occasions to wear work clothes. Basically, the only time I had to wear business clothes was when I went to interviews so that I could earn the right to wear them every day. Now I have that right, and now I have to find some clothes, because I think even computer scientists would notice if I wore the same suit every day.

I've actually been on the lookout for work clothes for months now. By that, I mean that I've been browsing thrift store racks with the idea of work clothes in mind. I haven't come up with much. As much as I love thrift shopping, when you need something, it's not very helpful.

I'm trying to get a lot of basic pieces to create a good mix-and-match situation for myself. Computer scientists won't notice that I'm wearing the same black pants three times a week if I wear three different shirts with them. All I need is a versatile pair of khakis and two more shirts and I've got a workweek covered.

I've also recently discovered tights. Maybe I should say that I re-discovered, since I'm pretty sure I discovered them initially a good fifteen years ago. I hated them then. Now, they are the best thing ever. Take a casual skirt, add some tights, and suddenly that skirt is business casual. Plus, they squeeze in excess flesh, and you don't have to shave your legs! That's legwear that I can get on board with.

I probably have enough to last me a couple of weeks. Then I can just wash the whole batch (I've been buying only machine washable fabrics, of course) and then start all over again. I even bought a special mesh bag so I can wash the five pairs of tights I bought today (JCPenney's, 70% off). Of course, I really don't know why I bother. It's not like these computer scientists are even going to notice what I wear.

No comments: