2.20.2006

emergency flashers.

Josh lives in a two story house with four other guys. The basement floods when it rains, there is a washer and a dryer in the backyard, and the guys won't turn on the heat because it's run by gas, which comes somewhere after beer on the prioritized budget. I find the house charming.

The downstairs bathroom has a window in the shower. I am strongly against windows in the bathroom anyway, but I really disliked this particular window because it had no curtain or blinds or shade of any kind. That's right, anyone outside could simply see into the shower. I complained about the window situation. None of the guys cared, because the window only displayed the upper torso of a bather. A girl such as myself has more reason to care about such things than boys do; namely she has two more reasons.

I complained to Josh every time I showered. He made promises, but then forgot about it. Apparently, it was not a priority. And honestly, the more I showered there, the less of a priority it became to me. There was a neighboring house, but it was pretty far away, and there were a lot of trees between the window and the neighbor's. Plus, after the shower ran awhile, the window steamed up anyway. After a while, I stopped mentioning it.

Then one day, I was showering with the window slightly open at the top when I heard a door slam outside. I looked and saw no one, but I did see the back door to the sunroom and realized that someone coming out of that room would have a pretty juicy view. In fact, it was possible that someone had just gotten such a view as he came out of the sunroom. I turned the heat of the water up to hasten the steaming process, but forgot about the event almost immediately since there was no way to know if anyone had even seen me.

I was talking to Josh midweek, when he said, "Oh. By the way, Dave says he sorry. He hopes he didn't offend you or anything." It took me a minute to realize what he meant. I had been spotted while showering. I laughed for a good long time. Josh was relieved that I was not upset, and I was relieved that he was not upset at me for not thinking enough of the door slam to mention it to him.

But the next time I was over there, there was a makeshift shade covering the window. Apparently all I need to do to get what I want in this relationship is to flash his roommate.

No comments: