2.07.2006

standing inside a messy apartment with a bobby pin in my hand.

My apartment is a mess. One of the many troubles of adulthood is you have a feeling that you should live in a tidy environment combined with a complete lack of motivation to follow through on that feeling. I looked around my apartment, realized it was getting a bit disgusting, even if no one was going to see it, and decided that I should clean. So I wanted to come up with some way to make myself clean, some game or something like that spoonful of sugar song (though I would have much preferred a magic nanny to clean it all for me).

Then bam! Random childhood memory!

When I was a kid, I had this game that would ease the room-cleaning process. I would listen to the radio (or maybe some CDs on random play). Then I would write down the name of each song as it came on. I would count the letters in the title, and then I had the duration of the song to pick up that many items and put them away. Of course, I would count very tiny items like bobby pins as individuals, but really, the game was pretty effective at fooling me into doing work. Some songs had short titles and were therefore really easy, and so I got to goof off for the rest of the song after fulfilling my item count very quickly. But then other songs would just screw me over and I'd have to resort to finding a whole lot of bobby pins, like when that Primitive Radio Gods song came on ("Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand"). Somewhere in some lost and forgotten notebook in my parents' house is probably a list of song titles with numbers written beside them.

So now I'm listening to 95.7 streaming online because I can't get it in Winston. I'm in my messy apartment, and I have the rest of The Beatles "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" to pick up twenty-two items and put them away, because punctuation marks count, but spaces do not. So I really don't have time for you people.

No comments: