5.29.2006

ugly dishes.



Why does this picture piss me off?

a.) There are ugly dishes in my kitchen.
b.) My kitchen is a mess and things like pieces of cardboard with pennies glued on them are allowed to run rampant.
c.) Some unknown reason impossible for the reader to gauge from the picture alone, which I will then procede to rant about so that you know.

C!

These are my new dishes. I only recently got them, and I would like to be sure that you know that I got them at a great price. In fact, they were absolutely free. Just ten minutes ago, I got them out of the dumpster. Soon, likely tonight, I will take them to the Goodwill truck down the road, along with items that came from my house, not the dumpster.

I was taking out my own trash when I discovered them. My trash is full of trash-type things, like unwanted mail, egg shells, and AOL CDs. You know, trash. My trash is never full of perfectly good, if ugly, dishes. In taking my trash to the dumpster, I found these dishes inside, sitting in the hot sun, clean and still perfectly capable of holding food items.

Okay, I can be a little wasteful at times, but I believe in the great circle of life for things. I take pretty much everything to the thrift store when I'm done with it, I take things that I'm not even sure they'll accept. But I know that they will accept dishes.

I've gotten lots of things out of the dumpster at my apartment complex. People are moving in and out all the time, and so the things that they can't or don't want to move goes into the trash. I have a nice big dresser in my room that I dragged all the way from the dumpster where it sat with the other two pieces in a matching set. Usually I just check for things that I might need or want. I have no need for ugly dishes, I actually have nice ones, but I was unable to bear the thought of these ugly dishes being thrown away for no good reason. So I pulled them out with the intention of donating them and then claiming the tax write-off for myself.

So the answer is C, the secret reason being that someone threw away perfectly good dishes when there is Goodwill truck less than two minutes down the road. And that pisses me off.

No comments: