9.12.2006

surprise moving truck.

I give in to the heat and decide that it's nearly noon and time to get up. Josh left for work hours ago while I slept in, waking up every hour or so to notice once again how nice air conditioning in this house would be. I hear movement outside and upstairs, but I don't think much of it. I get dressed with the intention of finding something to eat for breakfast or lunch or whatever this meal should be. I walk out and open the front door to see a huge moving truck taking up the entire driveway. Guess I won't be going anywhere: PBJ, here I come.

Evan, Josh's roommate, walks by as I complete my sandwich assembly. "Hey, uh, are you moving?" I ask him.

"Yeah, apparently. My dad just kinda showed up with the truck this morning. I was surprised, too."

"Is everything okay?"

"Oh yeah, don't worry. My dad's cool, so you don't have to worry about running into him or anything."

I pause, because I'm confused. I have no idea how his answer fit with my question. "No, I mean, is everything okay with you? Are you not going back to school?"

"I guess not."

I decide not to push him for any more info. I know he's gotten in trouble for underage drinking recently, and I suppose his parents decided it was time to intervene. "Man, that sucks."
"Yeah, well."

"Do you need any help?"

"Nah, we got all the heavy stuff already."

"I'm really strong for a girl."

"I'm sure you are, but I think we got it."

Evan heads back upstairs to continue his spontaneous packing. I do meet Evan's dad and decide that he probably is cool. He looks like what I imagine a couple of my more eccentric college professors look like on their days off.

I sit down with my PBJ and wonder about how Evan answered my question. I didn't care about the beer bottles or the cigarette butts - I don't even live here. And even if I were caught doing something supposedly illicit, what was his dad going to do - call my parents? Evan is twenty and still under parental jurisdiction. They pay his bills and write him off on their taxes. I miss the days when I didn't have to worry about electric bills and rent, but I confess that I prefer the way it is now, when I stay out as late as I please, sleep til noon on Saturdays, and never have to worry that a moving truck is coming to take me home.

No comments: