1.11.2007

timeless.

I did not intend for Thousand Worth Thursdays to become a sort of travel brochure for things to do around Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It's just that I happen to spend approximately five-sevenths of my time there.

I actually "lived" in Winston for six weeks before my senior year of high school at a program for nerdy kids called Governor's School. I could try and explain it all to you, but to be completely snobbish about it, you probably wouldn't understand. At least, that's what all us Governor's School alums complained about in our emails to each other when we got back home. That six weeks was fairly important in my life; for one thing, I met a nice boy there named Josh, and now he gets lots of blog entries written about him.

Anyway.

Governor's School was held at the campus of Salem College, which is smack dab in this historical area known as Old Salem. It's basically this area that has been preserved to look like it did back in the eighteenth century when it was settled by Moravians. It's a pretty neat place, with lots of old buildings and cobblestone streets and really fantastic ginger cookies. They still have old-timey cobblers and bakers and blacksmiths there for the benefit of the tourists. While all that was cool, what was not cool was the fact that my dorm was one of those old buildings, and naturally, it did not have air conditioning.

It's quite picturesque, which is why I took a picture of it. I took lots of pictures of it, actually, and I will probably take many more. Besides being of sentimental value to me, it's very unique. Even I decide next month that I hate that stupid boy and thus the stupid place where I met him, I will not be able to deny the charm of Old Salem.



The picture is black and white, for those who were questioning their vision or their computer monitors. My camera has that particular setting and I was fiddling with it that day. Or, if you prefer, you can believe that Old Salem is so timeless that it exists in a place where color has not yet been invented, like Kansas.

No comments: