5.14.2008

all the good ones are taken.

I haul myself out of the dumpster and start taking inventory. A nice towel, a desk fan, a couple of plastic cups. Nothing too exciting, but then again, not bad for free stuff. College kids are so wasteful that it makes me angry, except that it also provides me with lots of linens, kitchenware, and office supplies. I pack up the smaller items in the towel hobo style, then walk around to the long end of the
dumpster to start gathering the items Josh threw over the side. He's still hidden inside, poking through bags of actual trash and non-trash.

"Anything good?" asks an unfamiliar voice. I turn around to see a guy walking towards us from one of the dorms nearby.

"Not too bad," I answer, wondering if this dude actually is a diver. He climbs up the side and looks in as Josh stands up amid the discarded term papers and takeout boxes.

"Nah," the stranger says as he hops down and walks away quickly. Josh climbs out and smiles at me.

"He didn't have what it takes."

"Nope."

"He sure liked you, though."

Maybe so. Guys do stupid things for girls, but do they jump into dumpsters? If he hadn't caught sight of my boyfriend just then, would that dude have soiled his shoes in the discarded pizzas of others? I suppose I have someone that just jumped into a dumpster with me, but I suspect he would have done that anyway. Josh starts laughing.

"That poor guy."

"Yeah, he must be pretty desperate. I look terrible." I'm wearing ratty clothes and the grime and sweat of a Sunday afternoon. I haven't washed my hair all weekend.

"And you just got out of a dumpster. Maybe since it's the end of the school year he's worried because he hasn't gotten a girl yet."

I'm not sure how I feel about my own boyfriend laughing at another dude for wanting to get to know me better, but I have to admit it's pretty hilarious. I laugh, too, wondering if the poor guy walked away thinking that all the good ones are taken.

No comments: