9.17.2009

clint eastwood to ed sullivan.

Another musical round-up today. Some of you are already bored of it. Others are opening an extra tab in your browser so that you can add things to your Netflix queue.

Paint Your Wagon

I really, really liked this one. It's not about painting wagons, but it is a musical about the California gold rush, starring Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood. They sing and dance. If that description alone does not make you want to watch it, then I don't see much of a future for our friendship. The dialogue is good - lots of witty quips. There's not necessarily a central storyline. It's mostly about the people and their adventures related to mining and pioneer living. It was all the fightin' and drinking and light-hearted sinnin' of a Western, but with songs.

They changed the plot a bunch from the stage version. It's really not recognizable at all. There is some polyandry, which was a bit weird but admittedly very edgy.

Songs and Dance: Lots of good songs here. "They Call the Wind Mariah", "I'm On My Way", and "Wand'rin' Star" in particular. Lyrics were impressive, too, which makes me want to watch more Lerner and Loewe musicals. This clip is the last song, which was a notable hit in the UK. Lee Marvin kept The Beatles out of the top spot! The video is poor quality, but the song is worth it.


Moment of Recognition: "They Call the Wind Mariah." I'd heard of that song, and now I know where it's from. I am getting more cultured already.

Will I Make Josh Watch It: Probably so.

The Pajama Game
This one was totally forgettable. Thin plot. I now like Doris Day less for having done it, whereas I had a pretty good opinion of her previously. Okay, there was really nothing wrong with it. But none of it really stuck with me at all.

Songs and Dance: "There Once Was a Man" is a fun song. There's a really goofy dance number at a company picnic - the kind of dancing where you think the choreographer might have been playing a joke on the performers.


Will I Make Josh Watch It: Definitely not.

Bye Bye Birdie
I saw this before, back in the seventh grade, when I had a music teacher, Mrs. Waters, who apparently loved musical theatre, too. If I had to teach middle school, I think I would take sadistic pleasure in making thirteen-year-olds watch musicals. Because my classmates hated it. I pretended to hate it to be cool, but I was secretly enjoying myself. Looking back, Mrs. Waters was honestly trying to expose us to musicals and make us see that it's not all "The Sound of Music." Besides "Bye Bye Birdie," she showed us "Little Shop of Horrors" and "The Wiz." I never liked Mrs. Waters much, but I would like to take this opportunity to send her props back through time and space for making us watch that stuff. I dug it.

ANYWAY, this movie's really strong point is the casting, including Dick van Dyke, Ann-Margret, Janet Leigh, Paul Lynde, and Maureen Stapleton. It's pretty light-hearted and cheesy, but in a good way. I think this movie in general is representative of what a good musical should be. It's not deep, it's not trying to be anything else but entertaining. It pokes fun at middle America, but in a loving sort of way.

Songs and Dance: There are a lot of catchy tunes, including "Kids", "Telephone Hour", and "Hymn for a Sunday Evening". I could sing "We Love You, Conrad" for days, or at least, like, a couple of minutes. The clip is "Telephone Hour." It's so happy and silly.


Moment of Recognition: "Put on a Happy Face." You know, gray skies are gonna clear up and whatnot.

Will I Make Josh Watch It: Maybe if it's on TV sometime and there's nothing else to do.

No comments: