9.10.2009

from hunchbacks to sailor suits.

My love of musicals has already been documented. At some point recently, I realized that I hadn't even seen that many musicals. Sure, I was familiar enough with half a dozen of them that I could probably sing a song or two, but there are more than a half dozen musicals in the world. I decided that it was high time to continue my education. After all, what if people have been singing show tunes around me and I didn't know enough to recognize them? How embarrassing! I've been renting them through Netflix and watching them while Josh is gone. Because if I made him watch this many musicals, he might just leave for good.

In no particular order:

Pippin
The DVD that I saw was a recorded stage production, because this one apparently never made it to the movies. Watching it, that makes sense, because it relies heavily on the idea of the stage. However, some smart person could adapt this to film, I reckon. Don't let the title fool you, as this seems to have nothing to do with the actual Pippin, Charlemagne's son, who was a hunchback and not a strapping young man with 70s hair.

It was interesting at first, because it's playing on the fact that they're presenting a play for you. So you have to get used to that idea, which is novel at first. The middle kinda drags. With about half an hour left to go, I really wasn't sure where the plot was headed. However, the ending is really wonderful. They really rip apart the traditional notion of what a play is to make their point. I know, that's vague and doesn't make any sense, but I don't know how else to explain it without just giving you a plot summary. So watch it if you care. This was written after people got tired of frothy singing and dancing and decided that singing and dancing could have a MESSAGE. It's all about finding yourself, whatever that means.

Here's a pretty good clip: full of messages.


Songs and Dance: I didn't care much for the songs in this one, which could be my issue more than a problem with the songs themselves. I was very distracted by the 70s-ness. It was like listening to a light-rock station. Even so, none of them were particularly memorable. The dancing was pretty fun, though. Ben Vereen was fantastic, which is probably why he's famous and stuff.

Will I Make Josh Watch It: No, but I did tell him about it and all its post-moderness.

The Gay Divorcee
I haven't seen a lot of Fred and Ginger movies. And so while watching this, I said the really obvious statement, "Hey, Fred and Ginger were really good!" I was most impressed by the dialogue. They're famous for the dancing, but they had great chemistry, too. I love good banter between a couple, and Fred and Ginger had it going on. Fred is also not particularly attractive: he's horsey-faced and going bald. Which gives you hope that sometimes talent wins.

I could easily post a clip of Fred and Ginger dancing, but that would be too easy!


Songs and Dance: I'm not sure if it's musicals of this era in general or just this movie, but the songs in here had even less to do with the plot than usual. I'm used to people bursting into song to let you know about their feelings. But maybe sometimes people just burst into song in general. Dancing was, of course, very good.

Will I Make Josh Watch It: Probably not. Once I watch some more Fred and Ginger movies, I might pick my favorite and make him watch that one. Is this one it? I have no idea.

Anchors Aweigh
CHEESE-FEST. This movie relies heavily on the stereotype that sailors like to go ashore and hook up with strange women. It never says that the sailors are having sex, but they're definitely being crude when they have their locker room chats about whatever it is they do on shore leave. Of course, by the end, the main characters, Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra (who looks fourteen), have found nice girls that they can marry. Everything works out so well for everyone by the end of the movie, you'd think it was an episode of Full House.

This was only the second movie I've seen featuring Kathryn Grayson. I'm pretty familiar with her through Kiss Me, Kate, and I've always liked her in that. But she was sort of bland here, and I suspect that she was more of a singer than an actress. It might have been the role. Gene Kelly was Gene Kelly, and I love Gene Kelly. When I was twelve, back in 1995, I had a crush on Gene Kelly. Because I was a weirdo, I guess.

Songs and Dance: You may have seen clips from this movie, particularly from a scene where Gene Kelly dances with Jerry Mouse. You might be wondering - how does Jerry Mouse fit into the plot? To which I would respond: You're new to musicals, right? There is a neat scene at the Hollywood Bowl where a bunch of people are playing Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 grand pianos. Also, Frank Sinatra can sing. Did you know that?

I don't want to post Gene dancing with a cartoon mouse. Even when I was a kid, thoroughly smitten with Mr. Kelly, I knew that was pretty lame. So here's the piano scene, featuring Jose Iturbi. They were clearly trying to inject some culture in this otherwise standard silly musical. You can also see Gene and Frank in their sailor suits. I love sailor suits.


Will I Make Josh Watch It: No. He wouldn't stand for it. He would be more likely to consent to wearing a sailor suit, which is not at all a bad idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Les Miserables? NOT the Liam Neeson version, but the actual stage play?

It is a gotta see live and in person.

Tina