9.06.2009

yard sales, sept. 5.

I always mean to create a post of my yard sale finds. But then I think about taking pictures and then making the pictures look pretty and then writing something about it and posting it and it all just makes me so tired just thinking about it. So I go take a nap instead. You parents are all shaking your heads right now.

Well, I've already had my nap today. I had kind of a wimpy yard sale day yesterday. Honestly, I've had a lot of those lately. I had one spectacular day back in the early summer and then it's all been sort of piddlin'. I'm trying not to think of the two weekends that I missed while I didn't have a car. I wouldn't have found anything good those days anyway. Right? RIGHT?

The excuse for yesterday is that it was a holiday weekend, which always means fewer yard sales. So there were not as many yesterday, and no big church or group events. Still, I had a couple of nice scores.

These lamps were $3 for the pair at an estate sale on a busy road. I had to park right in that busy road, which made me very nervous. I kept waiting to hear the crunch that meant that my new car had just gone down in value. On the plus side, I used the emergency flashers for the first time in the new car.

Anyway, the lamps. Do I need lamps? No. I have lots and lots of lamps. But I like the weird colored and patterned ceramic on these. I was just going to get one, but then couldn't decide which I liked. Since I don't need either of them, the sensible thing to do would have been walk away. Instead I offered to take both off the guy's hands for a $1 discount. They came with shades, but they looked like they had been shoved on there to make the lamps look more complete, rather than matching them at all.

I guess this little guy was the score of the day. It's a pewter tankard, made by Woodbury Pewterers (there's a seal on the bottom). I priced these online, and you can buy one new for $60. On eBay, they're more like $10. But this one was a quarter. I got it for Josh, who likes shiny things. He put it on the mantel, because he thinks everything should go on the mantel. I hope to find a bigger mantel at a yard sale.

No comments: