11.15.2009

yard sales, nov. 14.

Today when I sat down to write this, I failed to muster any enthusiasm at all for photographing what I bought.  I spent $5 yesterday and then another $5 today at an estate sale.  What did I buy?  Books, greeting cards, picture frames, Christmas lights.  Nothing interesting at all.  But then I thought about how disappointed you all would be if I didn’t post anything at all about my yard sale day.  I know how you live vicariously through me.  Why you can’t just go to your own yard sales, I don’t know.

I did take some pictures at a pair of estate sales I visited.  It’s fun when rich people die, no wait, that’s not it.  It’s fun when rich people have estate sales!  You get to see what rich people purchase to console themselves over the fact that they can’t buy happiness or love.  I don’t buy much at these sales, because it’s mostly very expensive.  Don’t worry, poor people, I like your estate sales, too. 

The first estate sale – well, these people were only kinda rich.  They might be people you know from church or something.  They had some really beautiful furniture, as well as lot of nice glassware and silver. 

Picture 167

 

This buffet had already been sold for $150, which seemed like a pretty good price.  I mean, I barely know what a buffet is, much less how much you should pay for one. 

 

 

 

Picture 169

I really like the iron inlay on this table.  The silver is nice if you care about that sort of thing.  I can’t say that I do.  Silver seems pretty useless to me.  I have my share of useless stuff, but I have gumball machines and giant beakers.  Silver’s not my thing. The table came with the chairs you see in the background with the velvety fabric.  I think the whole set was $400.

 

 

Picture 174

 

 

This lamp has a neat little fake fire going on in the base.  It was only $10.  I went back to this sale this morning, and everything was half off.  A woman who had been there Saturday apparently came back today to buy this lamp, but it was already gone.  Always a tough call.  I had come back to maybe pick up a horse picture for my nephew, but it was also gone.  Sorry, pal.

 

 

 

Picture 170

 

 

I was pretty tempted by this medical stuff.  In the end, sanity won out.  So if you need someone to check your reflexes, you’ll just have to ask someone else.

 

 

Picture 172

 

More tempting medical stuff.  However, in this shot, you’ll observe something that I would NOT buy at a yard sale.  Do you see it?  Can you pick it out?

Did you find it?

Take your time.

The little blue packet on the counter:  Rectal thermometer.  I don’t care if it’s in a sealed package, forget it.   I guess I’m just close-minded that way.

Anyway, I came back to this sale today and got some greeting cards.  I did some hard negotiating, my friends.  I got 93 cards for $5.  They were divided into Ziploc baggies.  Each bag was marked $5 - $8, which is pretty silly.  The bags I got were priced at a total of $29.  But I think the lady realized that the sort of suckers who buy greeting cards at estate sales were running out.  I’m not keeping all of them, of course, but there are some good ones in there.  You know, if you’re the type to get excited by greeting cards.

The other estate sale I visited – well, those people were filthy, stinking rich.  You do not know these people from church.  They go to a secret rich people church.  You don’t even see them at the grocery store, because they send their servants to the store for them.  Their house was for sale.  I looked it up later, and it’s priced at $1.9 million.  It’s a newish place, built five years years ago.  Whenever I go to a insanely expensive house like that, I can’t help think that I would buy a different house with my $2 million.  Like my mom says, I’d love to have the money to buy it, the joke being that I wouldn’t buy it, but I’d like to have the money.  Picture 183

 

Still, 9,000 square feet, and a built-in expresso maker!  The other half is very well-caffeinated.

 

 

 

 

 

Picture 179

 

 

The entryway was very impressive.  There was an equally giant painting on the opposite wall.  There were a lot of paintings actually.  Most houses seem to have prints or pictures, but these were real, live artwork.  They weren’t particularly to my taste, but I appreciated that they didn’t look like they came out of a hotel room.

 

 

 

Picture 184

There were a ton of built-in bookshelves all over the house.  However, these leather-bound books were the only ones in the house.  They were priced based on size:  small, medium, large.  Which seems like pretty vague pricing to me.

 

 

 

And here’s some rich people furniture.  The house was chock full of this stuff.  You know where you have a chair or a table or a nightstand?  These people have those things, but they’re valuable antiques.  The buffet was $1,000, and the hutch was $3,000.  I could have taken dozens of pictures of furniture like this, but you’d probably get bored of it.

Picture 186

Picture 187 Picture 181

 

 

And the little red…whatchamacallit was really the only piece that I actually liked.  Maybe I’m just not meant to be one of the super rich.

So yeah, sorry about the lame yard sale day.  Remember, I’m the one who actually lived it.  Perhaps you should live vicariously through someone else.

No comments: