9.29.2003

did somebody miscalculate?

There's very little to say about the whole thing, except that I'm sorry.

We could go into the hows and whys. I know that we could, I know that it is physically possible because we have. We have four, five, six, so many times I've lost count. I've never been much at math.

There was this picture in my high school physics book. It was an old black and white photo of a train station from the outside. It showed a train that had crashed through a second story wall and the engine was hanging down into the street. The caption read "Did somebody miscalculate?" I think I cut out the picture with the caption and kept it. I wish I still knew where it was. It was a great photo.

You could do the same thing with us right now. You could take a picture of us, a black and white one if you're feeling artistic, standing next to each other looking at each other exactly as we now look at each other. The caption would read "Did somebody miscalculate?" And then you could cut it out and save it. Use it for a bookmark even.

I used to use the train picture in my math textbook. Maybe that's why I lost it. I was always better at those classes that didn't really mean anything, like Health and PE. I still remember the food pyramid by heart. I think about it every time I eat another meal on the college student diet with negative nutritional value.

I've been taking a multivitamin lately, I guess for about the past month or so. It was my mom's idea. She says man cannot live on Ramen noodles alone. It's an improved formula, now with Lycopene, which helps promote a healthy heart, although that statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. I like to look at the bottle and the little chart of all the vitamins with their respective percentages. The numbers don't mean much to me. You know, the math thing again.

I remember when I started taking the vitamins, because I made a special trip to the grocery store to buy them. Actually, I made two trips, because I hadn't brought enough money the first time. I miscalculated how expensive they would be. A to Zinc isn't cheap.

I remember when it was because when I got back the second time, there you were and I realized my second miscalculation of the day. Now it's been a month, and I've still not stopped rambling about trains and math and vitamins now with Lycopene. All that rambling and I still cannot see the light at the end of this ridiculous tunnel. It's all been a gross miscalculation.

You weren't supposed to find out.

No comments: