9.09.2003

one of these things is not like the other.

I saw this girl today, saw her sitting in the sun like she had come straight out of the university calender. I saw her just outside the CAP Building, sitting on the stone benches that surround the Orion statues with the blue lights on top. She was wearing some cutesy shirt and a denim skirt, the kind that hang just below the knees. Her legs were uncrossed and tan. Her hair, brown, was in a ponytail, and she was talking animatedly and happily on her cell phone.

But her knee, her left knee was bleeding. Scraped like she had been climbing trees or running on pavement and met with an accident. Scraped like she was five years old, blood running down her shin. I wondered how she had come to obtain such an injury. I wondered why she didn't go inside the building and at least clean it. I wondered if she even realized her broken skin dilemma. I even considered saying something brilliant to her, such as, "Hey, you sure are bleeding!" or offering her a bandage of some sort. Then my amazing sense of anti-social logic intervened, and I decided that if she was that chipper, the wound certainly wasn't bothering her, and I continued on my way.

I hope she didn't die.

2 comments:

Little House on the Big River said...

Sandra,
I found your blog a year ago. For a moment, I was irritated that someone had already taken the title that I wanted for my blog....so I started reading a few of your posts. And laughing. And, after a while I decided that it was okay with me that you claimed Ladybug Picnic. I was going to write to you immediately, but I noticed that you don't have many comments on your posts and I thought you might think it was creepy. I would be both flattered and creeped out. Since I've started my own blog, I have been a little shocked at the anonymous viewers. But my content (which is more visual than verbal) is so personal, it seems like a stranger probably wouldn't care unless they were a creep-ball.
You are a wonderful writer. That's all I wanted to say. If you published a book, I would buy it. I hope it's okay that I continue to read your stories even though I'm a stranger. Thanks for sharing.
-Catherine

Sandra said...

Wow, thank you.

Maybe I'm hard up for compliments, but I'm not creeped out at all. Consider yourself a non-stranger from now on.