11.24.2003

astronomy notes.

The girl who sits in front of me in Astronomy, she takes notes with a fine point Sharpie. You have to wonder about that, whether she understands what normal people use Sharpies for. Sharpies are for projects. They're for the labels on CDRs, for posterboard presentations, for things that explicity demand to be bold and/or permanent. Sharpies are not for notebooks filled with college-ruled paper.

For one thing, they bleed. They go right through the paper, leaving strange hieroglyphs on the reverse side. To solve this issue, rather than switching writing utensils, the girl only writes on the front side of each sheet. It's almost like she's trying to flaunt wealth. "I'm so rich I can use expensive markers for everyday notes - and I don't even use half the paper!"

This girl, I know her name is Laura. Her hair is dyed blond and doesn't match her eyebrows except at the roots. She wears very tight clothes, despite the fact that she is quite tiny herself. She must go through an awful lot of trouble to find clothes that tight. She wears dark eye make-up and ribbons in her hair. Pink ones, tied in the most perfect of bows.

I don't like her. I don't even know her. The only reason I even know her name at all is because she writes it in big bubble letters with her fine point Sharpie at the top of her notes. She's exactly the kind of girl who draws very good bubble letters. Some girls were always good at bubble letters, while others like me always ended up with crooked letters that grew funny tumors. I've always been bitter about my lack of bubble letter skills. The fact that Laura draws them so well only gives me another bad reason to dislike this girl I don't even know. That and the ribbons, the tight clothes, the make-up, the bleached hair, and the Sharpie abuse.

Mainly the Sharpie abuse.

No comments: