11.25.2003

have no fear! cool aunt sandra is here!

So if I've not made this clear before, my family tends to minimize holidays. We don't go trick-or-treating, we don't hunt Easter eggs, and we're lucky if we get Christmas trees up anymore. But, mister, we know how to do Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday (other than Arbor Day that is, what a scream!), as it probably is for most adults in my family. There are so many of us, I come from a family of six remember, that Thanksgiving is pretty much the only consistent time that we all get together without someone having to either die or get married. It's loud, it's crazy, it is what the Chaos Theory is based on. But it's a good chaos. It's like chaos made with love and stuffing and apple pie. And we get at least one new baby every Thanksgiving. We're collecting the whole set!

I managed to get off work this year. Last year, Thanksgiving was held at my folks' house, so I ate dinner and left to come to work. It was the most miserable Thanksgiving of my existence. I decided that I was never working the blessed day of turkey ever again. I approached Joe about a month ago about getting off, fully ready to make a stand, complete with a full speech riddled with righteous indignation. I have worked every single holiday that we've been open since I started working there a year and a half ago. I was willing to work Saturday and Sunday if he gave me Thursday and Friday. He offered me Wednesday and Thursday and I took it. I didn't even have to whip out my sharp negotiating skills.

So tomorrow I'm driving down. I'm getting up early, at least I'm planning to, to make the hike down to Raleigh area. Since I have to come back early, I'm driving down separately from my parents. I'm pretty excited about the drive. I love to drive with the driving music of my choice resounding loudly in my ears. It makes me feel very free and young, but also very grown-up at the same time because I have the freedom to operate a motor vehicle with a stereo. I'm planning on making many many stops at various thrift stores along the way (as well as that wine megastore in Winston), because I am Sandra and that's what I do. The four hour drive should take me about ten hours.

Friday I'm not due into work until 10:30 (per my request), and I'm doing the early morning shopping thing with Casey. He loves to stand outside Best Buy at 5 am and wait for them to open the doors to the wonderful sales inside. It's a hardcore shopping experience, like the big yard sale at the armory but with electronics. So I'm going with him, because I am the best girlfriend ever.

I'm not sure if I'll update much in the next few days. Aside from being gone, I'm going to be working a whole bunch. Busiest shopping day of the year = lots of hungry customers. Maybe if I'm feeling frisky.

Just one more thing and then I'm off to work on a new mix cd for my fabulous drive tomorrow. This morning, Mama forwarded me a message from one of my nieces, which I have reproduced in its entirety for you, my loyal readers.

HI grandma Im sarah I can't wait for THANKSGIVING is sandra coming I hope so I haven't seen her in a long time.

I am cool aunt Sandra.

No comments: