6.16.2006

one new call.

The other day I sang praises to my new credit card. Now I would like to gripe a bit.

This card is issued to me by Citibank. And like I said, I love this card and all the rewards that I get just by using it. But I'm not wild about Citibank, specifically their marketing. They have a lot of programs that can go with your card, stuff like identity protection and insurance and pet bunny rentals and I don't know what else. They like to call you up and tell you about these programs so that you can pay a monthly fee to receive those services. The fee is charged directly to your Citibank credit card, now isn't that convenient?

They call an awful lot. It seems like once a month they're offering to give me a free month of pet bunny rentals just for trying the service. And they always call at about 2 PM, when I am at work like a good little credit card holder. So I'll have "ONE NEW CALL" on my caller id every day for about a week until they wise up and call me at night. It's disappointing to see "ONE NEW CALL" and find out it's just a stranger trying to sell you crap.

I try to be nice to telemarketers. I let them talk without interrupting them or hanging up on them. Then I say that I'm not interested. I let them talk again from their script, then I say that I'm not interested again. Sometimes I even give them irrefutable evidence that shows that their service is not worth the money. But I am tired of this game, and I want to tell them to take me off their list. I suppose that is my right, but I'm stupidly scared that I won't be allowed to carry the card anymore if I ask them this. I know, that's ridiculous and probably just an excuse I'm using to avoid confrontation. I will eventually try it, because I am rapidly reaching the limit of my patience for these people.

Despite my annoyance with Citibank's marketing, I have to say that it's probably very effective. Yesterday afternoon, I looked in my mailbox and saw a check from Citibank. Surprise money and surprise mail are both good - surprise money in the surprise mail is the best thing ever. I was afraid, though, that I had been accidentally signed up for some service and this was my reward money "just for trying out" the pet bunny rentals. If the envelope had not been so thin, I might have checked it again for my first bunny. So I was all ready to have to call Citibank and cancel whatever service it was that I had somehow subscribed to, secretly hoping that they would let me keep the check because it was their mistake. But then I read the print on the check. By cashing the check, I would be enrolling myself in their identity monitoring service.

Absolutely brilliant.

Send me a check, make me hold it in my little money-grubbing hands, and then force me to not cash it. I am in awe of the marketing genius, despite the fact that I am completely annoyed by it, too. I sighed at the money I would not be getting, and then I tore up the check into tiny pieces - no way was I going to let someone steal my check and get my money while enrolling me in an identity theft monitoring program. That would be some heavy irony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are being a complete Noogie Nut to the highest degree. Tell them not to call you anymore! Tell them not to send you junk mail anymore! They are too desperate for your business to take away your card.