6.15.2006

thousand words thursday.

In an effort to actually do something with all these pictures I take, I'm going to try and start posting them regularly, on Thursdays perhaps, Thousand Words Thursdays, actually. Catchy, eh?

No promises that any of these photos will be any good. The only promise is that I took them, which would be in direct contradiction to any sort of promise of quality anyway. I had a hard time picking out a picture for my first entry, particularly since I had to eliminate all pictures of my amazingly adorable nieces and nephews, since I would get angry calls from the parents whose children were not featured in the first Thousand Words Thursday.

So here is my first Thousand Words.



I have a sort of fascination with reflections in photography. I am constantly taking pictures of myself taking pictures of myself taking pictures of myself...you get the idea. Basically, I think bouncy light is neat.

This picture was taken in Dobson at the Surry County courthouse. I had just eaten dinner at The Lantern and I had some extra time before class. I find that if I take a walk with my camera, I am amused for a good while, because I can spend long minutes taking pictures of things like doors and park benches and parking deck stairwells (all true examples).

I think the thing that I like about semi-reflective surfaces is the fact that you get to see three layers. One, you see the surface itself, in this case, the door. Then you see what is reflected - me, Dobson, and the water tower. But you also see through the door, and you can dimly make out some stairs with a patterned floor, a water fountain, and the opposite exit. It's like three pictures in one.

Hey! That's like three thousand words! And I wasn't even trying.

No comments: