8.18.2006

lonely lady in the sky.

Right at this very moment, there are two brake controllers on my desk. It's not what I call decoration, it's what I call work. However, they're really the most colorful thing in here (besides me, of course).

Our office is moving to a new building next month, to Winston-Salem's lone skyscraper. Exciting, isn't it? I'm going to have to ride the elevator for 10 minutes every day just to get to work from my car. The guy who is in charge of office assignments came by yesterday and asked a difficult question: would I rather share a window office or have a windowless office all to myself? I thought about the question for maybe half a minute, since our office will be on the 22nd floor, so the view should be smashing. However, I'm selfish and set in my ways and prone to obscure music, so maybe I should opt for the solo office. Although, a couple of weeks with me and my office mate might just decide to throw himself out towards that smashing view, and then I will have the best of both worlds.

That being decided, I've determined that I've been sitting in a bare office for far too long. I haven't done too much decorating, just stuck up a couple of cartoons on a message board and left it at that. I do have some bubble-wrap which I've considered hanging up on the wall for stressful moments. It's pink, too.

I had a different office up until about 7 months ago. It had two decorations: two stencilled marker drawings of a puppy and a cat, made by the son of one of my coworkers. I think my coworker went home and told his boys about the lonely lady at his office who has no children to draw her pictures. Coming from an artistic standpoint, they weren't very good, but it was a nice gesture.

I consider this an open call for decorations. I have no children, but I bet some of you do. So you should give them some craft materials and tell them about the lonely lady who works in a bare office in the sky and has no children of her own. I don't expect any of you to actually do this, but if you leave me your email address, I'll tell you where to send the pretty things (the decorations, not your children. Please, send NO children. I repeat, NO CHILDREN). Then I'll send you a hand-written note of thanks, as well as a free brake controller! Or maybe just some pink bubble wrap.

No comments: